Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Natural Life: Hillside Prairie Gardens, Brookings S.D.

Above, the backyard next to the gardens

*** Please note***
As of 10/10/2010 the recordings from this meeting will be marked as downloadable.

I will be removing the audio files from streaming at the end of October. If you would like to remain able to hear the recordings, please download the files. If you are reading this after October, you can contact me through email and I can send you the files. Thank you!
*****************



I have a vested interest in twins, as I am busy raising a pair myself. I was excited to sit with twin brothers Andrew and Jacob Helling, and their partners Kirsten Hansen and Hanna Fetzer, at their house and learn a little about them. As Kirsten mentioned regarding the brothers relationship, when they talk on the phone "the conversation just continues... there is no hello." This is similar to the life of the garden their parents started twenty years ago. Hillside Prairie Gardens has moved to the next generation with Andrew and Jacob. I visited a beautiful self made home filled with delicious smells, friendly people and several kind, hungry-for-love dogs. This home was surrounded by the aptly named hillside gardens where the delicious (confidently written, as they handed me a basket full of vegetables to take and I ate tomatoes on the way home) fresh vegetables and fruit are grown. I continue to learn that the people whose stories I love capturing the most have the most humility and are the most reserved; all good things in life are worth working for. Please listen...

Hillside Prairie Garden visit Aug. 26, 2010 by Katie, PSS Admin

CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. A farm that offers a CSA will usually provide a certain amount of ripe fresh vegetables and/or fruit to the people who subscribe to the farms program. A subscription would be a set amount of money per week or month paid for a set amount of time, during which the member gets weekly boxes of produce. For more information on CSA's, see http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/csa/csadef.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment